Where Engine Complaints Happen
Sometimes it helps just to tally up the complaints and see where the biggest stacks are. Use this information to learn about troublespots or to run for the hills.
- 2008 Accord excessive oil consumption 390 (100%)
- 2006 Civic cracked engine block 175 (45%)
- 2009 Accord excessive oil consumption 138 (35%)
- 2010 Accord excessive oil consumption 126 (32%)
- 1999 Accord stalls/shuts off while driving 86 (22%)
- 2017 CR-V high oil level with gas in oil 80 (21%)
- 2008 Accord grinding noise at start up 80 (21%)
What Honda Owners Say About Their Engine
On some 2006–08 and early production 2009 Civics, the engine (cylinder) block may experience engine coolant leaks, resulting in engine overheating and cracking. It was a Service bulletin 10-048, not a recall. This saved my life. I got my engine for free under this bulletin. It wasn't a recall because the first bulletin stated that these engines MAY or MAY NOT crack.
Suddenly noticed the heat gauge rise quickly. Stopped car right away and checked coolant. Coolant was extremely low and noticed leaking from what i thought was the water pump. Took it to my mechanic only to be told the block was cracked and needed an engine that would cost $2500.